This blog post is titled Unbreakable Style because although it's a post about an OOTD (Outfit of the day, just in case you don't know what that stands for.) it is also about self confidence. This has been heavy on my heart and I promised myself (and now to you) to always be honest on this blog. I recently purchased Tori Kelly's debut album called UnbreakableSmile, and it is so amazeballs! Her voice is on another level, but the message of her music is so inspiring. The track that speaks to me the most just happens to be the title of the album, Unbreakable Smile. Go figure. She knew what she was doing! Ha!
Anyway, when I was researching and planning for my blog launch I started to get insecure and intimidated by all of the beautiful bloggers out there. Not to mention my friends who are bloggers or are just so darn creative. Although it is good to surround yourself with people who have the same interests as you, it can also be possible to start comparing yourself to them. Thoughts like: "I wish I had her eyebrows" or "I wish I had her style" popped into my head, but why? I love all of my friends and they love me (I hope, haha), for me.
I had to get myself out of that rut if I was going to continue to blog. I started to listen to Tori's album and that really inspired me. (I was going to quote her song, but I couldn't decide which part of the song I liked because it is ALL. SO. GOOD.) We have to just trust our hearts and the big guy above, and take that leap of faith. With that being said, here are some ideas if you ever find yourself down in the dumps:
- Go to your room (or a quiet place)
- Light some candles
- Read Psalm 34:8, James 1:2-4, Psalm 143:8 (Which was on my grad cap!), & 1 Corinthians 13:12-13
- Listen to inspirational music. I tend to stick to girl power anthems like Brave from Sara Bareilles or if you feel like dancing Salute from Little Mix. (Their makeup is on point!)
- Read a book that specifically makes you happy. (I will post a blog about mine soon)
- NETFLIX. Always, Netflix.
- If that doesn't work, email me or hang out with a loved one. Just don't be alone.
All of that lead me to the day I was scheduled to take photos of a fellow blogger. Towards the end of the shoot she asked if I wanted her to take photos of me. I debated because I was in comfy clothes and not "photo ready". Irritated by my insecurities, I said yes and probably did the best posing of my life. Here are the results:
- Purse: Volcom from Red E Surf
- Sunnies: Von Zipper from Red E Surf
- Tank and Shorts: Forever 21 (Similar)
- Top & Boots: Marshalls
Thank you for all of the kind words from my first post! I hope you were able to find inspiration from this post. Let's remember to be nice to ourselves. We deserve it.
What is your favorite part about yourself? Comment down below or on my Instagram.